Sunday, June 24, 2007

VA Excursion: Days 7 & 8

Day 7:
No photos for Saturday. Spent most of the day listening to presentations. At the day's board meeting, I was asked to assist in preparing publications for which we are running low on innventory for distribution via CDROM to save the cost of new print runs. I also posited the suggestion that we investigate print-on-demand publishing to avoid the need for stocking inventory. When all was said and done, I found myself on the publications committee.
The after-dinner presentation was given by an archeologist from the Jamestowne dig. I tried hitting her up for a copy of her PowerPoint presentation, but some of the images are apparently closely guarded.
After dinner, I hit the road at 9:45pm EDT. I wanted to make Fayetteville, TN as early as possible Sunday to maximize the time I could spend at the Lincoln County Geanealogical Society, and I toyed with the idea of driving all night. For this leg of the trip, I chose to drive south through North Carolina. By the time I was a little west of Winston-Salem, it was clear to me that I was far too tired to push on through the night. It was about 2:00am EDT when I got a motel room.

Day 8:
Up bright an early (after only 4 hours or so of sleep), I hit the road once again. My path took me out to the western-most tip of North Carolina, once again passing through the Smokey Mountains. As I passed through the Nantahla National Forest, the road went through a gorge alongside a river that seems to be a popular spot in the area for white water rafting.

On the western slope, in Tennessee, there was another river (this one running westward of course) that was also a draw for rafters.

I passed through Chattanooga (no time to stop for photos of the Choo Choo) and continued on. The path taken by the interstate briefly dipped into Georgia (I had been listening to an Atlanta radio station most of the way through the mountains), but I must have blinked and missed when I entered Georgia. Next thing I knew, I was heading back into Tennessee (and back into the Central Time Zone).

I pushed through the Cumberland mountains and finally arrived in Fayetteville. By the time I arrived at the LCGS library, it was 3:30pm, giving me only an hour and a half to dig through what they had (which is quite a bit). I had a little time to photocopy some family group sheets and book passages, as well as photographing some 19th century legal documents associated with a F.W. Keith who seems to have served as Lincoln County Sheriff at one point. Not sure if he is connected to us, but I photographed them just in case.

After the LCGS library closed, I headed towards Isom cemetery. (The road I was needing out to Mimosa township was on the way home for the LCGS volunteer, and he was kind enough to lead the way for me.) Once I got to the area, I found Toddy Hollow Road and knew I was on the right track. (According to my father, his Grandmother Isom always said that she was from "Toddy Hollar, Tennessee.") I even found the farm where the gravesite is supposed to be, but could not locate it, nor did anyone answer the door at the farmhouse. Not wanting to traipse about on a stranger's property without their permission, I found a place to eat and secured a room for the night. Now that I've gone back to study the Google satellite images more closely, I think I can narrow down the location a bit better now.

My plan for tomorrow is to go into town early, find the Rhea cemetery (which is in Fayetteville proper not far from the road leading out to Mimosa), go to the courthouse a bit to track down some records, then try again to find the Isom gravesite. After that, it is off to Nashville for a return visit to the archives.

No comments: